Add beet to your Boxing Day
Christmas is most definitely a time for enjoying some of the best local produce we’re lucky enough to have here in Sussex. As turkey is still a popular meat for the main event on Christmas Day, we’d recommend mixing it up on Boxing Day if you’re planning another big sit down meal. If you’re hosting, you can’t go wrong with venison. Head to Westdene Butchers and speak to Trevor to get the best advice on which cut to cook. One of our festive menu favourites in December has been our Venison Haunch, Beetroot Ketchup & Black Cabbage.
Beetroot ketchup is a tasty condiment that will compliment the venison and have your guests asking for the recipe. Here’s how to make it:
- Chop your beetroot and add to a saucepan, along with some water.
- Add our spice mix in muslin, so that you add some depth of flavour but you can remove them easily once the beetroot is cooked. We use clove, pink peppercorn, fennel seeds, a bay leaf and cinnamon.
- When the beetroot is cooked, remove the spice mix and blend until it’s a smooth consistency
- Add a little Xanthane to ensure it’s the right ‘ketchup’ consistency. Cornflour also does the same, if you’re making this at home.
- Store in the fridge until you’re ready to serve with your venison. Enjoy!
If you like the look of our venison dish, find out what’s on our menu when we reopen on Tuesday 17th Jan, by booking a table to join us.